Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How to Pop Your Corn


On this whole vegan/diet quest I've really missed having something I can I pop in my mouth that is crunchy, besides veggies. Sometimes, you just don't want a freaking carrot. :)

So... I started thinking yesterday. I decided that popcorn would NOT kill me and even if I had popcorn everyday, the fiber + the calories wouldn't be that big of deal. However, I've only had popcorn a few ways. On the stove top, made with oil, microwave, or made in an air popper. I hate gadgets. I knew that microwave popcorn wouldn't fit in my goals and then I remembered something.... Making your own popcorn, in the microwave, in a bag!

Okay, once you do it this way, I bet you won't want to do it any other way. It's so easy AND it's so cheap! Yeah for saving money and easy. A few stats before I tell you the coolness.

1 cup of air popped popcorn = 30 calories
1/2 cup of kernels = roughly 6 cups of air popped popcorn (this really isn't that much)

If you buy your microwave popcorn at target, you'll pay roughly $0.60 a bag
If you make your own, you'll pay about $0.12 a bag... minus any sort of toping you may put on it!

How cool!!!! 1/2 the cost, total control and WAY less chemicals, genius!

Are you in?

Step 1 - Gather your materials


Step 2 - Measure your corn. 1/2 cup


Step 3 - Put it in your lunch bag... seriously, just a kids lunch bag, fold it over a few times


Step 4 - Put it in your microwave! Anywhere between 230 - 3 minutes. I would start at 3 and listen the first few times, once the popcorn takes 1-3 seconds between popping, stop the microwave or the popcorn will start to burn.


Step 5 - Eat your corn! You can add whatever you want!


Okay... so if you are a crazy observer, you might notice I had some white cheddar popcorn seasoning in my first photo. Yup, you're right, totally not vegan, totally has some salt in it. Guess what? just not perfect enough. However, this stuff has virtually no calories and I'm assuming very little dairy. Sometimes, you just have to compromise.

So what I do? What you can do to save calories. Use the cooking spray on the popcorn, then sprinkle whatever seasoning you like and shake yo' bag. Works pretty well and saves a ton of calories.

Please, do not call these guys:



Wanna watch a funny video about the vegan police? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw549u-ELBY&feature=related

~x~
misty

No comments:

Post a Comment